Sunday, September 7, 2008

Being Born - Oh, That's Easy

Easy for me. My Mom had it a little harder. But I made her work easier by being several weeks premature (and almost didn't make it). She always marveled at how small I was - you could hold me with one hand or something. I always had a mental image of the advertisements in the back of comic books of the miniature Chihuahua in a teacup. Must have had a little lactose problem too because she never gave me milk as far as I know. As a little kid I remember taking lots of giant calcium pills to make up for not drinking milk. Because of this, I never developed a taste for milk and it makes me gag to this day.

So, what is my earliest memory? One of them had to be the mobile over my bed. It was a typical style mobile for back in those days - a couple of arms that spun independently from the larger arm that suspended them out over the baby bed. The objects were brightly colored, 3-D, birds.

Honestly, I probably did not totally retain that memory, but when I was a little kid I ran across the mobile packed away in a box and then remembered it.

She said she named me Thomas and it meant "twin." It wasn't until late in her life that I tried to pin her down - was I a twin and the other one, being so premature, didn't make it? Did she have a miscarriage between Ronnie and me? I think she answered "no" to both of those scenarios, but seemed to be holding back. I guess I should as Aunt EJ; she would know.

2 comments:

Greg R. said...

I too hate milk. People find that so weird. Now I know who to blame for it. Thanks!

Mike and Amber Murphy said...

I hate milk too! I only like it in cereal, but even then i just barely do enough to moisten the cereal, I don't like any excess on my spoon! Interesting...